Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The crazy pool (thoughts on crazy-makers part...4 I think).


Everyone has a little crazy. I like to think of it as there is a great big pool of "crazy" and at some point in our lives we dip our toes in. Sometimes someone we loves jumps in and we jump in to try to save them only to find they are stepping over us to get out and we start drowning instead. Sometimes people swan dive right into the deep end and never stop splashing you. But most of us only ever get ankle deep in the shallow end steps.

I've been on every side of this pool. I've dipped a toe, I've waded waist deep. I've cannonballed into the deep end only to swim straight to the ladder and get out. I've tanned on a chaise beside the pool and spent many years cleaning that murky son of a bitch to no avail. I've been pulled in countless times. I've worn water wings, I've precariously coasted by on a sinking half-inflated float. I've chokingly tried to argue with someone who was using my shoulders to hold me down under water.

Every person in or around the pool is choosing to be there. Some know nothing else and don't know that pulling people into that green algae'd pool with them won't make their personal experience (pain etc.) any better, it only hurts those they pulled in.

All of this is to say: Get out of the pool, y'all. Don't pull anyone into your shitty swampy concrete pond. Get out, towel off and hit the showers. Don't look back...and while you're at it, take a few moments to tell the people who've stuck by you that you love them and you're sorry if you've ever pulled them in (even accidentally). Even if you're on great terms- it never hurts to say it, y'all. Walk away. Break the cycle. You'll feel better once you rinse off and put on some clean, warm jammies. I promise.

To those of you who have: I commend you. Well done, you! It ain't easy, but it's worth it to be healthy and happy!

I truly hope you have a wonderful day. Please be kind to one another and to yourselves. It's easier than you think, and oh so contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment