Saturday, September 6, 2014

Saturday Stolen Moment


Happy Saturday, friends! I don't know about y'all, but after a fun night out last night, I need some centering...and waffles. I need...ahem want waffles. Chicken and waffles to be exact! I digress...

Autumn is creeping right up to us, I could feel it on my morning jogs this week and I just love it. It's a magical time of year and I can almost sense nature gearing up for it's farewell for the year. In honor of Summer's adieu and Autumn's approach, and to help bring yourself to a calm and peaceful place (if you feel so inclined), here's today's stolen moment/meditation.

If weather permits, try to get out in it today. I particularly love in-between times like dawn or dusk (and since I was a half hour late posting this this morning, dusk may have to do!). Make sure you are somewhere safe and close your eyes. Listen to the sounds surrounding you. Are there cicadas chirping, or children playing? Whatever noises surround you, let them. Not the specifics as much as the combined symphonic range of the goings-on. Is there anything about it that is essentially indicative of where you live?

Let the sounds of nature wash over you. Breathe in deeply and exhale deeply as many times as feels good to you. After you are comfortable, imagine in your mind one beautiful thing you could do for someone else, or nature today. Pick up some litter, pay for someone's coffee, help a person with a stroller by opening a door or carrying groceries from someone. Spend a little extra Q-time with your spouse, children or pets. Pick something that shows kindness and love and do it. It doesn't have to be grandiose to have an impact.

Send some gratitude out. Not only for the end of a beautiful Summer, or for the ushering in of Autumn; but for your blessings. We all have them. Sometimes it may not feel as such, but we do. In the paraphrased words of Ray Wiley Hubbard, keep your gratitude higher than your expectations and today will be a good day. It's a damn good day, y'all.

I truly hope you have a wonderful day!


*Is this a heron or an egret? I saw it on my jog this morning and I can never tell them apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment