Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Thoughts on Balance


Ironic I am writing about balance today, considering that I have been several steps behind for about a week and a half now (or maybe it's just about time). I let my stuff get on top of me and thankfully I don't have work today, so I can take the day to evaluate, recalibrate, meditate and all-round reboot.

I've noticed a pattern with myself, one that I'm seriously working on breaking. I get super balanced and start kicking major ass and then BOOM! I do something or I let something in that distracts me. The distraction starts small, one little thing gets dropped off the to-do list and then it snowballs. Within a week or two (as in today), I find myself wondering what the hell happened.

I'm not sure what it was this time, but I am sure I'm going to catch it now before I relapse into old habits. I've never been a particularly extreme person; however I have found myself in the midst of extreme behaviors in the past and when I analyze those situations, I find that they all started out the same way. Something small changed and instead of adapting, I reacted. I snowballed. All of the times I have crawled out of the mire of grief, depression or whatever else was going on, it began with an adaptation to a situation and not a reaction.

A small tweak can make a really big difference. I'm sure it's common sense, but it isn't the easiest to implement in the moment, now is it? Well, that's what I'm working on this week (and my entire life). Autumn is a great time for finding balance (equinox after all...equal), and today's the day to make a change.

Is there something out of balance in your world? Take some time to think about it today and perhaps come up with an adaptive behavior instead of a reactive behavior. Maybe just maybe it will be a turbo boost for your engine of change. I'd love to hear all about it too!

I hope you have a truly wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment