Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Top Three: Guilty Pleasures

Too cool for Y2K (an ode to the 90's)...you'll see!


I had so much fun with the Top Three last week (and loved hearing what yours were too!). This week it's all about the guilty pleasures. Those things you really like, but maybe don't want to broadcast (or you enjoy when no one is around to judge you).

Here are mine!


#1. Frat-humor movies. I don't know why.  I love classic movies, indie films and foreign subtitled masterpieces. I love a good family comedy, the occasional RomCom and a solid action film. For the most part I have a pretty average leaning toward pompous taste in cinema. But there's a little black hole in my preferences, and it's anything goofy, dumb and over the top. 21 and Over, Animal House, Old School, American Pie, Neighbors. I'll be chuckling along with it- alone so the hubs won't judge me (because he really doesn't grasp this apparent void in my tastes).

#2. Move theatre popcorn. If you remember the Paleo experiment, I don't eat corn products if I can manage it. However, there is no way in heck I will avoid that nasty salty buttery over-priced popcorn if I go to see a (I'll just say tasteful) movie in a theatre. It's a nostalgia thing. My dad and I used to spend whole days at the movies when I was a kid. It was awesome. And yes the popcorn makes my stomach hurt and yes I have to have it with Buncha Crunch bites (sweet and salty!) which also make my stomach hurt. Try as I may, though, I cannot pass it up! Oh, and yes, I usually eat it all before the movie starts because I show up nerd early.



#3. Anything 90's. T.G.I.F., butterfly clips (technically I never really liked those), criss-crossed hair parts (see Sabrina above). Delia's catalogs, Hardy Candy anything! Wayne's World, Empire Records, MTV's Beach House! Toaster Strudels, Nick at Night, Bop-it's, stretchy weird choker necklaces (also see Sabrina above), daywear being made of satin for some insane reason. Alanis Morissette and Natalie Merchant Records! Oh! Everclear and Gin Blossoms! Boy Meets World and Aaaah! Real Monsters! I could go on and on. I eat that silliness right up. I get so goofy nostalgic, I can't help myself!

I have a million more, but I think I'm beginning to subscribe to what Dave Grohl said about guilty pleasures. I'm going to paraphrase, but basically it goes as follows: "Screw the idea of guilty pleasures. I like what I like and I won't apologize for it."

With that little nugget of inspiration, let me know what your guilty (or no longer guilty) pleasures are! The Monkees? Britney Spears? Judge Judy? Krispy Kreme donut sandwiches? I'd love to know!

I hope you have a truly wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. mint oreo cookies, it is such a temptress....

    detective/ murder /mystery movies, preferably British


    Neroli Sea Salt linen spray... by Caldrea. I spray it on my sheets when I make my bed!

    ReplyDelete