Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Fleur 101

February is a special time for me. Not only is it nice, chilly and crisp weather- it's also the month of my birthday, Valentine's Day, and Mardi Gras (all fun & festive days of food and flowers... yay alliteration!).

Anywho, I've always been intrigued by beautifully arranged flowers. Though never really had them in my house or gardens until recently (very recently). I've started adding fresh flowers to my house about once a month, but they never look particularly "arranged" when I get them into their little vases/containers.  I try, but usually it just looks like I dropped them into the container willy-nilly even though I actually try to make them look nice. It's amazing how some people just have that gift to see an arrangement in their mind and just make it happen. That floral je ne sais quois. I don't have it necessarily, but I do think I'm capable with a little nudging (and many online tutorials and magazine tear-outs) to pretend like I do!

So for funsies today, I thought I'd share some tips and things I found to make store-bought grocery store flowers look beautiful and expensive.

From My Soulful Home:



        *Filling the base of the container with something to stabilize the stems. Der. I've never done that.

        *Using tape to create a grid for keeping the flowers in place. (Totally works, I have used this trick).

        *Adding a bit of sugar to the water. It makes sense, though I've never tried it. I've heard of an aspirin being used. Don't know the science behind it. Would love to know if any of y'all do!

        *Three types of flowers make an arrangementt: Line, Mass & Filler (as well as a focal flower...so technically four types of flowers).


Some tips for single flower-type arrangements from A Cup of Jo.

How to make fancy-schmancy centerpiece-y arrangements. I would totally put something a little outlandish like this in a teeny powder room just for giggles.

My personal favorites: loose, asymmetric arrangements. It's oh-so Rosemary & Thyme!


Having beautiful flowers in my home is a small luxury in my life, but I want to make the most of it. It doesn't much and it makes me smile every time I see their little flower faces.  Do you have any tricks or tips to make cheapo blossoms look better?  I'd love to know!

It seems like a pretty good metaphor for the P&PPS anyway, you know? Taking what you have, recognizing its inherent beauty then figuring out a way to make it really stand out in all its glory!


I hope you have a truly wonderful day, little blossoms!

2 comments:

  1. separating single stems of all one flower into different vases or glasses. Like daisies, or roses or mums.

    ReplyDelete