Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Comfort


When it's cold like it has been lately, I can think of nothing but warm soup and pajamas. No surprise, I've mentioned it at least a dozen times already. Last night I made some yummy comfort food and I thought I'd share it with you. It's healthy and warms you up like nothing else.

My mama called it Ten Can (or Tin Can) soup, but it's also known as "hillbilly soup". I'm not as fond of that name, I'll stick with Ten Can thank you!

Ingredients:
Ground turkey
1/2 onion
1 zuchinni diced
1 large can of diced tomatoes with the juice (I"m starting to get really sketch about tomatoes in tin cans, so fresh works too!)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 bag frozen peas
1 can whole kernel corn (frozen works fine too!)
garlic (to your liking- I'm a garlic fiend)
ditalini pasta (looks like diced macaroni)
S&P
tablespoon basil
olive oil
chicken stock (4 cups)

Directions:
Sautee the turkey and set aside. I like to make this using one pot so I have less to clean. If you do that, set the turkey aside on a plate until the veggies have sauteed (1 pot and 1 dish compared to the usual wreck). Sautee the onions and zucchini until onions become translucent. Add tomatoes, corn, peas, stock and seasonings. Add the pasta. Cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes then stir in the turkey. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes on med-low or until the pasta is done. Boom. Done.

It's so good and makes a ton so you can feed a hungry army or pre-pack your week's worth of lunches.

Give it a try, and let me know how it works for you! Have a truly wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment