Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Just a little bit!

Image courtesy of Google.

The truth of the matter is, when it comes to giving, the word "only" comes up a lot. I'm only one person or I only have five dollars, it (or I) can't make a difference. But every little thing makes a difference. Even in "slacktivism", my main form of giving. I want to be more involved in organizations I believe in, and I'm getting there. However, my current situation is such that I don't have regular hours or time off, so it's a bit of a challenge to get to a meeting or a clean-up project or a rally. Most likely its a bit of tiredness mixed with a bit of laziness. Like I said, I am working on getting there (it's a personal project!).

Instead of wringing my hands and beating myself up for not being as generous with my time as I'd prefer to be, I donate whenever I can to different organizations, KickStarters and things of the like. Usually it's just five bucks. That's what I can let go of knowing my bank account won't be overdrawn. It isn't a lot, but I know for a fact that it can make a difference to someone in need because I have been in need before.

It is so wonderful to see someone get the care they need, or a bus for their students, or whatever else it is! Five bucks by five bucks I can make a difference in someone else's life. It keeps the good karma and good energies flowing and I need nothing in return. It isn't anything earth-shattering here. I'm not telling you anything you probably didn't already know. But if you are having a bad day, instead of spending that $5 bill on a comfort food or instant fix to try to feel better, trying giving that $5 away to someone who needs it. It's soul food, kiddos and it's oh-so good!

Here are some people or organizations to donate to if you feel so inclined or tell me other ways you give in person or online! I'd love to hear your ideas.

*Seer farms is a cool place. They help people who can't care for their animals (think service men and women or people who have lost their jobs etc.) no matter the timeframe, no matter the animal.

*Desert Farm Initiative. Help squelch a food desert in Baltimore!

*East Nashville Radio, a station that plays real, good music (the stuff you won't find on the typical radio) and has cool music shows every week. It's the brainchild of a guy in Nashville's music business that wanted a gathering place for artists that they could create whatever they want and still get played. I listen to it nearly every day. I love the Whiskey Wednesday show and my husband loves Tommy Womack's show on Fridays. The man who runs ENR, Richard Carpenter, uses the donations to pay for the rites to the artists for their music. Good stuff! (Plus, we love their t-shirts too!) Oh, and p.s. Richard is my dad, and he's awesome. :-)

*Help all kinds of people who have been affected by natural disasters. You can even shop (don't know if that's the right way to say it) by disaster like Colorado Flood, or victims of Typhoon Haiyan.

*Turnip the Beet Farm needs help building two greenhouses! Five bucks for the great name alone!

*Help Dollipop get to Europe to perform! Hell yeah! Love it.

I truly hope you have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It's so easy to get wrapped up in what we don't have, wish we had more of, etc. that we forget to give of ourselves. I always intend to volunteer or donate, so I did just that today with your helpful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful news! I'm sure your donation means the world to someone! I love your sentiments on gratitude for what we have. It is so easy to get bogged down in the "don't haves". Thank you!

    ReplyDelete